Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Forget yesterday being the depressing day...

Today is my depressing day. I'm in a "I have no friends, no talents, no life, and am going nowhere" day. I spent part of the morning looking at a friend's blog that describes her newly published book. I know I shouldn't compare myself to anyone else, but it's hard not to. I've wanted to be a writer for SO long...it's the one career ambition that has been consistent since childhood, and yet I let self-doubt overpower any talent I may have. The friend describes writing and re-writing her book over and over, but from the impression I get, once she started looking for an agent, it happened pretty quickly. I do know that she said it took her agent three days to sell it to a publisher. Not the struggling writer scenario you usually hear about. Of course, she seems to be an exceptional writer, which somehow only makes me feel crappier. It's like reading a powerfully descriptive passage from a Stephen King novel, and you just sit there in awe of the way he manages to place you right there in the scene. I know, we can't all be Stephen King...but why can't I?

Then there's the whole "write about what you know" thing. I don't know jack. I am the most boring person I know. I don't even really have hobbies. I watch freaking TV. How pathetic are you when that's your hobby? I've always been more interested in hanging out with friends, forming memories about the time someone did something stupid or clumsy or shocking. That was great in college, it was the time of my life, but I don't have any friends anymore. Seriously. I am such a loser. When I find someone I think I could get to be really good friends with, I manage to drive them away somehow. Part of the problem is that I'm too honest. I tell the truth and expect the same in return, but women aren't that way, which is why I've always been better friends with guys. I always manage to hurt someones feelings, usually without even knowing it. For example, I work with a chick who hasn't spoken to me in a year because she felt I insinuated that her boyfriend wasn't handy around the house. When I asked her what was wrong and she told me, I sincerely apologized--I actually used the word "sincerely"--but she refuses to speak to me unless I speak to her, and then it's only a curt "hello." Granted, I'm pretty sure she is the one with the problem in this case, but it's just an example of how my friendships with women go.


I currently have a few friends that I get together and quilt with (told you I'm boring), but they seem like the kind that would get their feelings hurt easily, so I find myself walking on eggshells with them. That's not the kind of relationship I'm looking for. Oprah says a woman should have five types of women friends, and one is the honest girl, the one you go to when you need an honest answer, no b.s., and that you shouldn't get offended by because that's who they are and why you love them. Unfortunately, no one loves that about me.

The thing is, the people who truly know me know that I'm not trying to be insulting. Trust me, if I'm insulting you, you'll know it without a doubt. My tone of voice, decibel level, and glaring eyes will make it perfectly clear.

Back to the writing thing. The thing that probably sucks the most is that because of the depression that has me on anti-depressants, I no longer have any urge to write. The knowledge that that's who I am is still there, but there's no actual drive, no inspiration. So here I sit, having written more than I have in quite a long time, but it's nothing more than a blog entry. And the longer I go without writing, the more talent I lose, the more grammar skills I lose, the more of myself I lose.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Blogger S said...

I totally know where you're coming from on all of these issues.

About writing -- I know how you feel, but I do think that it goes both ways. That is, while one can certainly lose ability (or just become rusty), I think it's also very possible to gain writing talent. So try not to feel like you're going to lose all your talent for writing if you don't write much for X amount of time.

Do you feel like reading? I ask because I've had times when I feel like neither reading nor writing. If you can concentrate on reading, then I recommend it. I think it helps keep my vocabulary from getting completely stale, and also to keep me thinking about stories and various plot ideas, even if I can't make myself write.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Murphy Dogg said...

Hello, at first I was hesitant to comment on your blog because of you being the "Crazy Cat Lady" and I'm a dog, but my Mama wanted me to tell you to screw those stupid women who don't wanna be your friend. She's the same way with girlfriends, has more guy friends because they're not so sensitive. Don't stop being honest just because of some lame ladies! It's a damn good quality to have.

Anyway, as far as the writing thing, my Mama is trying that too and it can be depressing for her as well. She wants to know if you've ever gone to a writer's conference, cause they help her get her spark back sometimes.

Okay, c-ya,
Murphy Dogg

 
At 4:39 PM, Blogger Crazy Cat Lady said...

S - Thanks; I've been trying to read, but after going on the meds, it's SO hard to concentrate or get into anything, which is a real shame because I've been an avid reader since kindergarten. A friend loaned me "All Over But the Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg, and while I can tell it's very well written, I just haven't gotten into it yet. I have managed to make it to chapter 4 of "You On a Diet" which is written by Oprah favorite Dr. Oz. It's pretty cool because instead of giving you ridiculously strict diet guidelines it describes the actual medical goings-on when you eat certain foods. Makes it easier to eat healthy!

 
At 4:47 PM, Blogger Crazy Cat Lady said...

Murphy Dogg - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm especially honored you took the time to write to a cat lady! When I have a bigger yard I'll have dogs, too, if that earns me any points. I hope to rescue greyhounds someday(there's a racetrack nearby).

I've not gone to a legitimate writer's conference, but I've attended a few talks by published authors. They usually make me mad, as they're usually jerks, although I did go to a talk by these twin sisters who write murder mysteries together. They were very nice and encouraging. I also tried a writer's group at my local library. Most of them were jerks, too, but the one lady who was actually published was also encouraging. (The guy who was the biggest jackass was published--he wrote the descriptions on the back of book jackets. He thought he was a god.)

I checked out your site and found it very entertaining. You're a small dog with a lot of attitude--a wonderful thing. Tell your mama I like her doggie clothes, too.

 
At 11:57 PM, Blogger Aimee said...

Hey Girl, I totally get where you're coming from, in every way. I mean EVERY. WAY. So, don't beat yourself up too much, ok? We all get in a funk. The fog will lift sooner than you think and you'll be feeling like yourself again.

I'm going to email you about a couple of things, but what an odd coincidence that I just bought "Ava's Man" by Rick Bragg while we were in St. Louis! AND, another book, but I'll go over that in my email.

Would LOVE to get together with you, and soon. I'm about to lose my mind. Cabin fever and all. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counter
Web Site Hit Counters